Setting Up Hypothes.is

What is Hypothes.is and why are we using it?

Hypothes.is is a platform that will allow us to add (and see each other’s) annotations on readings that we do for this class. This is a way for me to facilitate a “conversation” about the text before we actually get together and to see what you’re thinking about, what you want to know, and how you’re connecting the ideas to your life experiences and prior knowledge. This helps me to tailor the class to your interests and needs rather than just teaching you whatever I think is useful. It also helps students who might need to participate asynchronously because of illness the chance to learn from their colleagues.

You are welcome to add annotations at any time, but you will be required to add a few every time you sign up to be the discussion captain for a particular class.

How do I sign up and use Hypothes.is?

I have sent you a link to an invitation for our class group in your e-mail. In the video below, I walk you through exactly what you need to know in order to set up and use Hypothes.is. If you have any questions, you can reach out to me over e-mail or on Slack. Please try to sign up for Hypothes.is BEFORE the first day that our class meets (Monday, January 31) so I can answer your questions about it in class.

The Slack logo

Setting Up Slack

Why are we using Slack instead of Blackboard, Google Classroom, or something else? There are a few reasons that I’m using Slack […]